More European Jazz Guitarists
Grafikjam
2023-07-29 06:35:11 UTC
<< "Dick
Onstenk"
<< Any new players I should know about? >>
When I was in Paris 4yrs. ago I heard a guitarist at a club called "Les Ducs
des Lombards". He was working with Anthony Di Battista and Palle Danielson. He
played a solid body Chet Atkins nylon string and was one of the most original
players that I have heard in years
but I only caught his last name which I think was Veras but I'm not certain
about that. He appeared to be in his early twenties. Since my return I have not
been able to get any information about this player. It is possible that I have
the name wrong but it seems like someone over there would have some information
on a young dark haired kid who is playing classical fingerstyle with players of
the stature of those mentioned previously. CR
This is Nelson Veras. a great brazilian guitarist settled in france for a long time.
His last album was recorded with Jonathan

Franck Cassenti made a documentary on Pat Metheny at the jazz festival in Marciac (France). He arranged a meeting with Veras who was 14 at the time... They play a blues in the dressing room... Great

Grafikjam
2023-07-29 06:41:36 UTC
Hi gang,
I'd like to extend the thread on European Jazz guitarists a bit here if you
don't mind. I mentioned Jesse van Ruller earlier, the Rosenbergs, and Jan
Akkerman. Obviously these are all Dutch players.
Two Belguim players I absolutely dig are Rene Thomas and Philip Catherine.
Rene made a great classic Jazz guitar recording in 1960 "Guitar Groove" that
is outstanding and a super classic. It is one of the few albums that even
merits a 4 star review in the Penguin Guide to Jazz (LOL). One of my
favorite Jazz Guitar Cds. Rene died as early as 1974.
Philip Catherine is another great Jazz hero from Belgium. Most expressive
Jazz player with a distinct style. I guess you guys know him across the
pond? He worked with Chet Baker and Tom Harrell.
What about Scandinavian and German Jazz guitar playing? I must admit I don't
know too many from these regions.
From Britain I know Martin Taylor and Louis Stewart but I guess there must
be many more...
And let's not forget the French. Are they known in the States? Bireli
Lagrene, Philippe Petit, Christian Escoude etc? I mean, these guys are
famous over here. Any new players I should know about?
Greetings from Holland,
Dick
http://livejazzatthecrow.iuma.com
In France Antoine Boyer is incredible. He plays as well jazz, gypsy jazz or classical...
In Italy Matteo Mancuso is just ouaouh ! ;-)