Sam Brown
d***@gmail.com
2018-04-14 20:43:28 UTC
I was listening to a lot of Keith Jarrett "American Quartet" a couple of months
ago - all that great Impulse! stuff and I got real interested in finding out who
Sam Brown was, after listening to the title track of "Treasure Island" many times.
I looked everywhere for information, and couldn't find it, but here it is. I love
the music of Keith Jarrett, but guitar never seems to be a part of it, with the
exception of Sam Brown. I read Jarrett's biography, but the book didn't talk about
Brown hardly at all. What was his working relationship like with Jarrett? They
sound sound locked in on "Treasure Island". I heard that he died tragically - I
didn't know the circumstance. Another great one lost.
Tim Cross
Sam Brown was from Detroit, studied with Joe Fava. Came to New York about 1960.
Took Kenny Burrell's place in the Broadway show Bye Bye Birdie. Left that show
to work with Miriam Makeba and traveled with her. He was an excellent classic
and jazz guitarist. Worked with many small jazz groups in the 1960's and 70's.
Had a drug problem but got clean in and was doing well in New York as all
around player. Was murdered by an intruder in his apartment. A tragedy. Sam was
a great talent and a great friend. Not a mean bone in his body.
Ralph
Right. me too. I am Keith Jarrett's biggest fan and I have worn out vinyl grooves on those early 70's records like Treasure Island, El Juicio Death and the Flower and many more. I cannot agree more to your point, there seems to be no real guitar space in the Jarret genre eacept for Sam Brown who found a niche that was masterful. Mind you it didn't work on every tune (IMHO) but they were experimenting a lot musically so it goes when you risk originality. I am now feeling that Sam Brown deserves some greater homage. Keith Jarrett could do it if he would take the time.
d***@gmail.com
Right. me too. I am Keith Jarrett's biggest fan and I have worn out vinyl grooves on those early 70's records like Treasure Island, El Juicio, Death and the Flower and many more. I cannot agree more to your point, there seems to be no real "guitar" space in the "Jarret" domain except for Sam Brown who found a niche that was masterful. Mind you, it didn't seem to work on every tune (IMHO) but they were experimenting a lot musically and so it goes when you risk originality. I am now feeling that Sam Brown deserves some greater homage. Keith Jarrett could do it if he would take the time.
paul gerkin
Ralph
gtr
2023-01-03 04:03:06 UTC
Sam Brown was from Detroit, studied with Joe Fava. Came to New York about 1960.
Took Kenny Burrell's place in the Broadway show Bye Bye Birdie. Left that show
to work with Miriam Makeba and traveled with her. He was an excellent classic
and jazz guitarist. Worked with many small jazz groups in the 1960's and 70's.
Had a drug problem but got clean in and was doing well in New York as all
around player. Was murdered by an intruder in his apartment. A tragedy. Sam was
a great talent and a great friend. Not a mean bone in his body.
Ralph
I miss Ralph Patt. He was an incredibly kind and generous man and musician. A
worthy model for all.