Jazz Guitar Trivia Quiz #1
van
2010-08-24 23:45:11 UTC
What great jazz guitarist was a member of the Hell's Angels motorcycle
gang for a few years and had to hide out for a while when they put a
contract on him?
Hint- It wasn't Wes Montgomery...
Joe Giglio
2010-08-25 00:18:11 UTC
Post by van
What great jazz guitarist was a member of the Hell's Angels motorcycle
gang for a few years and had to hide out for a while when they put a
contract on him?
Hint-  It wasn't Wes Montgomery...
OK-was it George 'Easy Rider' Van Epps?
or
Jim 'Big Hoss' Hall
or
Charlie 'Wide Glide' Byrd
or
Johnny 'The Rattler' Smith
or
Joe 'The Butcher Man' Pass
or
Howard 'Ride The Hog' Roberts
or
Tal 'The Terrible' Farlow

OK I'll stop now...
Paul Mitchell Brown
2010-08-25 07:57:01 UTC
Post by Joe Giglio
Post by van
What great jazz guitarist was a member of the Hell's Angels motorcycle
gang for a few years and had to hide out for a while when they put a
contract on him?
Hint-  It wasn't Wes Montgomery...
OK-was it George 'Easy Rider' Van Epps?
or
Jim 'Big Hoss' Hall
or
Charlie 'Wide Glide' Byrd
or
Johnny 'The Rattler' Smith
or
Joe 'The Butcher Man' Pass
or
Howard 'Ride The Hog' Roberts
or
Tal 'The Terrible' Farlow
OK I'll stop now...
Strangely enough, the first two guys who came to my mind as being
completely unlikely to fit the bill were George Van Eps and Jim Hall.
sgren
Sounds like Bu
sgren
Sounds like Buddy Fite.
paul s
that would be my guess too ...
Nice Dan from UK
Surely it's Joe 'The Shredder' Giglio...!
van
2010-08-25 07:43:14 UTC
Post by sgren
Post by van
What great jazz guitarist was a member of the Hell's Angels motorcycle
gang for a few years and had to hide out for a while when they put a
contract on him?
Hint-  It wasn't Wes Montgomery...
Sounds like Buddy Fite.
Very good Steve!
I see you've returned. Could that be a sign we won't have a double-
dip?
I'm a big fan of those records he made in the 70s.
When they interviewed him in GP years ago, they never mentioned
anything about his other life in the Hell's Angels.
They said (he probably told them) he was a lumberjack!
I just found that other stuff about him on the net. He gave the reason
why he switched to fingerpicks from a flat pick as:
"I was drunk all the time when I was playing, so I always dropped my
pick. With the fingerpicks, I can't drop them; they always stay on my
fingers, no matter what happens."
What is it with those guitarists out West? You got Dick Dale living
out in the desert with lions, and BF riding his chopper all around the
Pacific Northwest causing all kinds of mayhem!
He passed a week before 9/11 from the throat cancer that made them
remove his larynx. He smoked all his life.
I heard a few tunes he recorded later on with a small group (great
keyboard player- he played one thing I'm going to cop), but he didn't
play anything like he played in the 70s.
My next quiz will be coming up soon...
pmfan57
2010-08-25 13:52:25 UTC
Post by van
Post by sgren
Post by van
[...]
Cool quiz. I'm looking forward to the next one. (I had no clue as to
the answer)
Joe Finn
2010-08-25 14:10:09 UTC
Post by van
Post by sgren
Cool quiz. I'm looking forward to the next one. (I had no clue as to
the answer)
Same here. I didn't know the answer but I hope you will come up with another
quiz soon. ......joe
--
Visit me on the web www.JoeFinn.net
Or say hello via Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/?ref=home
Joe Finn
Joe Giglio
2010-08-25 15:22:23 UTC
I LOVE Buddy Fite!
paul s
2010-08-25 15:27:30 UTC
Post by van
Post by sgren
Post by van
[...]
In the late 90's I was visiting a friend in Portland and found out
that Buddy was "out of retirement" and playing in Vancouver, Wa. We
drove to over the bridge and found the place, a pizza joint. I wish I
remembered the evening better, I recall that the group was gtr, keys,
drums and a female vocalist (no bass). Buddy played through a very
large amp and got a fantastic sound.

Paul S
southtexasguitarist
2010-08-27 01:30:27 UTC
Post by van
What is it with those guitarists out West? You got Dick Dale living
out in the desert with lions, and BF riding his chopper all around the
Pacific Northwest causing all kinds of mayhem!
I always figured it came with the territory. That was an era when
basically anything went, particularly in California, but to an extent
other places out there. The laws came along and tamed a lot of that
free spirit, IMO.

Clay