Ulf Wakenius
Karissa
2003-12-17 17:08:34 UTC
just watched Ulf's gig tonight. Man, was I blown away! It was the 3rd time
I watched him played in the last 3 years and his playing was a bit different
this time. He has a somewhat different 'vocabulary'. I am usually not
impressed by chops but boy oh boy, Ulf got chops and his playing is musical.

What I wanted to say is his tone. According to him, the guitar is a $100
Aria Les Paul copy he picked up many years ago. It has a very archtop sound
though. He used a Lab series amp (I think it might be a Lab 5) tonight at
first, but the amp was blown within a few tunes. He then plugged into the
backup JC-120. The tone from his guitar is extremely good (of course it is
mainly due to him). After hearing him shredding, I am left to think that I
might have spent too much on gears. Ulf is really a cure for GAS.

regards,
Karissa
Joe Finn
2003-12-17 17:28:33 UTC
Karissa
2003-12-17 17:48:03 UTC
Yeah, I was blown away by his playing. Also, he is extremely nice to talk
to. He said he just picked that guitar up, found a good tone and has played
it since.

Karissa
Post by Joe Finn
Ulf is such a great player. I really like him a lot. That certainly is an
interesting choice of a guitar he made.
Sounds like you had fun at the show. ...........joe
Visit me on the web www.joefinn.net
William C.
2003-12-17 17:33:41 UTC
Post by Karissa
After hearing him shredding, I am left to think that I
might have spent too much on gears. Ulf is really a cure for GAS.
regards,
Karissa
These days it is not difficult to find an acceptable minimum standard in a
guitar, for not much $. The rest is, indeed, up to the player.

Bill
Gerry
2003-12-18 00:58:32 UTC
Post by William C.
These days it is not difficult to find an acceptable minimum standard in a
guitar, for not much $. The rest is, indeed, up to the player.
Particularly if you need no resonant chamber. Still a decent solid body
without potential difficulties for $100 isn't something you bump into
every day.

I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.
--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. They they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
William C.
2003-12-18 02:14:39 UTC
Post by Gerry
Post by William C.
These days it is not difficult to find an acceptable minimum standard in a
guitar, for not much $. The rest is, indeed, up to the player.
Particularly if you need no resonant chamber. Still a decent solid body
without potential difficulties for $100 isn't something you bump into
every day.
One of the best sounding guitars I have ever had is a real looper of a
sleeper. An un-wanted stepchild at a Guitar Center. A DeArmond Jet-Star
Special. The super cheapy Indonesian bolt on neck jobbie. Before the Great
DeArmond Blowout. I took it off the wall for what I thought would be a joke.
I came intent on a much more expensive set neck, other brand guitar, which
didn't come close. Out the door, with tax, 109 bucks. Still have it.
Post by Gerry
I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.
I've only run across a few guitars over the last so many years that would
have been good to go for me:

Some new Gretsches set up by T.V. Jones
A new Gibson Firebird VII.

The rest all need/have needed some tweaking.
-- Gail Collins
Gerry
2003-12-18 06:24:08 UTC
Post by William C.
Post by Gerry
Post by William C.
These days it is not difficult to find an acceptable minimum
standard in a guitar, for not much $. The rest is, indeed, up to
the player.
Particularly if you need no resonant chamber. Still a decent solid
body without potential difficulties for $100 isn't something you
bump into every day.
One of the best sounding guitars I have ever had is a real looper of
a sleeper. An un-wanted stepchild at a Guitar Center. A DeArmond
Jet-Star Special. The super cheapy Indonesian bolt on neck jobbie.
Before the Great DeArmond Blowout. I took it off the wall for what I
thought would be a joke. I came intent on a much more expensive set
neck, other brand guitar, which didn't come close. Out the door, with
tax, 109 bucks. Still have it.
Actually I have a friend that did the same thing, though I don't think
the price was quite that low. I bought two Seagull Grand Parlor's (the
first was smashed on an airplane) for about $130 each--new. I'm more
delighted with this than many of the expensive ones.
Post by William C.
Post by Gerry
I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.
I've only run across a few guitars over the last so many years that
Some new Gretsches set up by T.V. Jones A new Gibson Firebird VII.
The rest all need/have needed some tweaking.
I have never tweaked a damn thing. I can only imagine how wonderous
I'd be with a guitar that had been set up...
-- Gail Collins
William C.
2003-12-18 06:49:27 UTC
Post by Gerry
Post by William C.
Post by William C.
Post by Gerry
I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.
I've only run across a few guitars over the last so many years that
Some new Gretsches set up by T.V. Jones A new Gibson Firebird VII.
The rest all need/have needed some tweaking.
I have never tweaked a damn thing. I can only imagine how wonderous
I'd be with a guitar that had been set up...
vunderful, vay vunderful, to be sure
-- Gail Collins
Karissa
2003-12-18 19:03:56 UTC
"Gerry" <***@spam.really.sucks> wrote in message news:171220031658323825%***@spam.really.sucks...
| In article <brq41p$66o9j$***@ID-216853.news.uni-berlin.de>, William C.
| <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| |
| I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.

I asked him about this and he said he didn't changed anything on it except
the strings.

Karissa
Gerry
2003-12-18 23:06:30 UTC
Post by Karissa
| I wonder if Ulf spent anything on tidying it up a bit.
I asked him about this and he said he didn't changed anything on it except
the strings.
A player after my own heart.
-- Gail Collins
Skip Moy
Karissa
Jay Olson
2003-12-26 01:31:21 UTC
I recently (early December) saw him at Fasching in Stockholm. He played
in a quartet with organ, sax, and drums. He was playing a Les Paul
style guitar through a JC-120. I think he was quite good, but he played
much too loud for the size of the place. Even with earplugs, I couldn't
take the level, and I left after about half an hour.
Karissa

Paul Craven
Tom Lippincott
2003-12-26 05:49:51 UTC
Post by Paul Craven
Three reasons: organ, sax, drums.
heh! amen to that. Although I certainly don't think guitarists are always
completely innocent, I do think a lot of unfair accusations get leveled at us.

Tom Lippincott
Guitarist, Composer, Teacher
audio samples, articles, CD's at:
http://www.tomlippincott.com
8 string guitar audio samples at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/tomlippincottmusic.htm
Jurupari
2003-12-28 18:43:03 UTC
Post by Karissa
This led me to think, 'Why do many electric guitarists always play too
loudly?'
In the beginning it was to get the right sound out of the amp, which had no
master gain and didn't come into its own until about 7. Later, we just went
bad.

Clif

Skip Moy
2003-12-26 04:25:07 UTC
Just saw Ulf in a piano quartet setting recently also playing through a
JC -120. From where I was sitting he was pretty balanced with the rest of
group.
From my own experiences I find that an organ with bass lines takes up a lot
of musical frequency space on stage. Probably feels more so if the place is
a small club. I normally have to bring a gtr which is less sensative to loud
vol feedback. Unless there is space where I can sit further away from the
organ speakers I find that I wind up having to turn myself up to hear, to
get away from the masking effect the organ/bass has on guitar frequencies.
If Ulf's amp was sitting on the floor and he was standing above it then I
could understand it being turned up .
On a related note I did a gig recently, with my normal set up of having the
spk cabinet ( RE12ER) on a chair. For space reasons, the entire band had to
be set up in an horizontal straight line. During soundcheck I played
standing parallel to the amp, with a volume which I thought was in balance
with the other instruments ( flute,bass, drums) .Turns out that in the
audience area 25-30 ft away, the guitar was predominant. To remedy this I
repositioned myself to be more in front of the amp, consequently I turned
the on stage gtr vol down a little and the overall balance was then fine.
Skip